Monday, 6 January 2014

Humbug Cafe, Glen Eden, Auckland



There are few cafes out West Auckland, and even fewer of those garner the level of patronage and loyalty from the locals as Humbug Café. The décor of Humbug reminds me of a run-down bach setting; it’s uber laid back and relaxed with miss-matched chairs and retro furnishings. The hipster staff and the even hipper clients looked chilled out.

I liked the separate room layout for families with young children; they get a space to play and can be watched by their parents, and the rest of the clientele get a childfree brunch. Genius.

While the service is excellent, I haven’t been that convinced of the menu food. It was a bit bah Humbug. The food is absolutely fine, expensive for what it offered, but with all the accolades I had expected to be blown away. I suspect the cabinet food is much better than the menu offerings. There is certainly a huge range on offer, all looking rustic, homemade and very tempting.


I ordered the choco-latte ($4.50), a clever idea and something I think other cafes should pick up on. They serve Millers coffee, and Foxton Fizz drinks. The menu has the usual suspects, with eggs benedicts are only available on the weekend.

Erin ordered the vege breakfast, - mushroom, spinach, tomato, fried potaotes, egg, with no toast and sausages ($17.00 + $4.50 for the sausages). While it was a generous breakfast, it was also quite basic and something you could easily rustle up at home.

I had the omelette with house smoked salmon and choose the Mamata organic bagel for my carbs ($15.50). This came with crème fraiche and a tasty tomato relish. The smoked salmon was very salty which overpowered the rest of the flavours.

Humbug is a place for great coffee and a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. I wouldn’t make a special trip out here, but if you’re out discovering West Auckland, it’s a very pleasant place to rest your feet.


Humbug Café
32 Rua Road, Glen Eden
Ph: 09 – 8275124
Tues – Fri: 7:30am – 3:00pm
Sat/Sun: 8:00am – 4:00pm


View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. Great review. Thanks for the tip about checking it out if you're there but don't go especially. I find that really helpful as I will travel for great food but not really for something I can make at home. Slow roasted tomatoes full of flavour - yes. Pan fried tomato halves with a sprinkling of dried herbs, no. Too many cafes chuck those on the side as a vege extra and I see so many go back to the kitchen on an otherwise empty plate. Lift your game kitchens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, many thanks for your comments. It is really disappointing when places don't make an effort, - eating out is a treat for most people, and when I'm paying decent money, I expect a certain level of culinary expertise. Cx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...